Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I'm Back!

So I have been completely consumed with my job the past few weeks...however I have found time, hear and there, for some nice runs which I believe have helped keep my stress level at a certain level.
As you know at the beginning of this month, I went to Blue Mountain Beach, FL (Which was gorgeous!!!) to a Galloway Running Retreat! Jeff Galloway is an Olympic runner who now helps other runners train for marathons and other forms of endurance training. He is awesome!!! So down to earth and...awesome!!! No other words to describe him.
Here are 3 things that really helped me!
First...I mentioned to Jeff all the injuries I was incurring and he said that I was waaaaay over-training. ("Really?", I thought to my self.) He said I should be doing no more than 1 to 1 run/walk ratios. Which means I run for a minute and then walk for a minute. He also said that while I recover I should do even less than that. 20 sec/40 sec ratios or 30/30s. So I've been doing that ever since and WOW!!!! What a difference it has made in my running recovery! If you're having any sort of injuries when you run...back way off!!! The point is to go long and slow! You can build up speed during short runs.
Second...breathe! It doesn't matter how your breathe, just breathe. This was such freeing advice for me, because I always get bogged down trying to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth, and I just can't breathe that way. Since then, I've just been doing what is natural and it has really made a difference.
And last...my GymBoss!!! This is the best piece of equipment I have ever invested in. It is only $20 and it's a timer than you can set for intervals. Perfect for run/walk training. You can set it to anything you want. 20 seconds-40 seconds. 30 seconds-30 seconds. 2 minutes-1 minute. Plus you can set it to beep at you or vibrate. I love this little tool. It too has made such a difference in my training.
Anyways...as things lighten up with my job, I will tell you more amazing tidbits of knowledge I learned from this retreat.
Until then, more stories from the road to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment